Virginia Assisted Living
The Genworth Cost of Care Survey for Assisted Living costs shows an annual median cost of $47,196 for one person in an assisted living facility in Virginia. Costs are lowest in the Richmond area.
View Larger Map
Independent with assisted living options:
- Arleigh Court Pavilion at Vinson Hall - The assisted living facility at Vinson Hall, a facility for military retirement, but the assisted living does not require military affiliation - Holistic care includes spiritual care - many amenities including movie theater, atrium dining, daily activities, emergency power outlets and much more. Studio, one and two bedrooms apartments with full baths and kitchenettes.
6251 Old Dominion Dr., McLean
- Paul Spring in Alexandria VA - on 12 acres - Independent and Assisted Living - rental fee - custom package
- Brookdale Manassas - Independent and Assisted Living, On-Site Rehabilitation, Short Stay and Respite Care programs in a residential area. 8341 Barrett Dr.
- Chancellor's Village Fredericksburg - By Senior Lifestyle Corp - - offers retirement living for different economic levels from luxury to affordable.
- Colonial Manor A newer facility offering Independent and assisted living - affordable senior living - home-style feeling - patio enclosures - 6 acres - garden - activities - beauty salon/barber - library - transportation - fine dining - housekeeping - small pets allowed - rented guest rooms for family overnights
- Brookdale Williamsburg By Brookdale Senior Living - Independent and assisted living and memory care - also extra supportive services available - many amenities, activities and programs including outdoor pool, recreation, gardening, and more.
- The Hidenwood Retirement Community in Newport News, VA - Independent and assisted living - customized assisted living services - you can choose the services you need at any time. Package services or pay for them separately.
- Brookdale Salem - Independent and assisted living; also rehab, respite and short stay programs. 74 apartments on three floors. No large entry fee. Monthly fee includes meals, housekeeping.
Fishersville (near Charlottesville)
- Birch Gardens of Royal Care 12 Royal Drive Fishersville, VA - (540) 886-5007 Assisted living near Charlottesville.
Pulaski (near Blacksburg)
- Pulaski Retirement Community in Pulaski, Virginia - family atmosphere - Independent and Assisted Living - 2 levels of assisted care: Full level and limited level (limited level includes medication assistance and 2 meals) - no entrance fee - just a monthly rental fee and security deposit. At an assisted living community one can be evaluated to see at what level of dementia care one is at.
Primarily Assisted Living
- Chesterbrook Residences Mixed income assisted living - one and two-bedrooms with full kitchens and baths.
2030 Westmoreland - 703-531-0781
- Apple Manor 1011 Pennsylvania Avenue, Winchester, VA - 74 units
Adult Day Care in Fairfax County
There are four adult day care centers in Fairfax County including caregiver support groups and an Alzheimer's Support Group in Alexandria:
Fairfax County Adult Day Care
Fees are based on a daily sliding fee scale ($15 to $85 per day-verify), which is determined by the client's (and spouse's if married) gross income and 2% of assets excluding residence. Some clients may qualify for Medicaid benefits for Adult Day Health Care services, and many Long Term Care Insurance policies will cover the service. Please verify all information.
More Assisted Living in Virginia
- Novant Health Caton Merchant House - Prince William Health System - Old Town Manassas - averaged priced - pricing info on site as well as admission information - for 25 years. 703-335-8400 to arrange a tour.
- Brookdale Sterling - 46555 Harry Byrd Highway, Sterling - assisted living apartments in low rise building. Social activities and more.
- Babcock Manor, Inc. State Route 691 Appomattox, VA
- Ashwood Assisted Living 40 Hunt Club Boulevard Hampton, VA
- Ballentine Manor Norfolk, VA
- Allzwell Assisted Living 130 Great Bridge Boulevard Chesapeake, VA - assisted living - 74 unitsCedar Manor 1324 Cedar Road, Chesapeake
- Carebridge Assisted Living 220 Rainbow Lane Chesapeake, VA
- Bell's Residential Adult Care Home 3720 Deep Creek Boulevard Portsmouth, VA
- Alpha House 811 Thompson Street Ashland, VA
- Brighton Gardens of Virginia Beach - Assisted living - ten minutes to Chesapeake Bay and downtown Norfolk. Activities - From scratch cooking with fresh ingredients - Also short-term stays.
5620 Wesleyan Dr., Virginia Beach
- Kings Grant House - Virginia Beach by Commonwealth - Assisted living in neighborhood with shopping, activities, hospital and medical. Spacious private or companion suites - value prices.
Dryden: Southwest section of Virginia
- Chestnut Grove Home for Adults - Since 1975
- Commonwealth at Hillsville - Assisted living - Private and semi-private rooms. Home-like atmosphere. Also therapy programs and home care available. 100 Kyle Dr., Hillsville
- Brookdale Danville By Brookdale - Personalized Assisted Living - Beautiful home-like setting on one single level. Personalized service plans. Meals planned by a dietician. Nurses on duty 24 hours; escort services available. Also, short-stay program. Good for those with limited mobility due to one level development. Also, library, beauty/barber shop, courtyard, walk paths. Private or companion suites.
Skilled Nursing (also see Combination category)
- Sanders Retirement Community: Part of Riverside Health System - Independent and assisted living with a Healthcare Center for nursing care in private or semi-private rooms. Also respite program. "A village within a village."
Sanders Retirement Community
- Carrington Place at Wytheville Independent living, assisted living, and nursing care - Studio, one-bedroom and two- bedroom apartments - near medical facilities - beauty salon/barber - spacious areas for lounging - activities rooms - on site therapies - computer room - putting green - fresh meals from scratch - social programs - near local college
Carrington Place at Wytheville
Start the discussion
- Brookdale Arlington (Formerly by Emeritus Senior Living) Alzheimer's and Memory Care - Assisted living - Retirement Living. Also, respite program, short stay and on-site rehab. Urban setting in highly desirable, upscale area with nearby shopping, medical, restaurants and more.
3821 Wilson Blvd., Arlington - 703-520-2851
See our Review
Please Note: All Emeritus communities are now part of the Brookdale Senior Living communities family. ~
Other communities by Emeritus (now Brookdale) with memory care in Virginia:
- Brookdale Danville Stokesland - Alzheimer's and Memory Care, Assisted Living, On-Site Rehabilitation, Retirement Living, Short Stay / Respite Care - - 63 apartments on one level - "Join their Journey" memory care program.
- Brookdale Fredericksburg Alzheimer's and Memory Care, Assisted Living, On-Site Rehabilitation, Retirement Living, Short Stay / Respite Care - rural area
- Brookdale Harrisonburg Alzheimer's and Memory Care, Assisted Living, On-Site Rehabilitation, Retirement Living, Short Stay / Respite Care - 54 apartments on one level.
- Brookdale Richmond (Brookdale has 3 communities in Richmond.) Alzheimer's and Memory Care, Assisted Living, On-Site Rehabilitation, Retirement Living, Short Stay / Respite Care.
- Brookdale Roanoke Alzheimer's and Memory Care, On-Site Rehabilitation, Short Stay / Respite Care - 56 apartments on one floor
- Brookdale Staunton Alzheimer's and Memory Care, Assisted Living, On-Site Rehabilitation, Retirement Living, Short Stay / Respite Care - 99 apartments on 2 floors - rural area close to Augusta Medical Center.
- Brookdale Lake Ridge Alzheimer's and Memory Care, Assisted Living, On-Site Rehabilitation, Retirement Living, Short Stay / Respite Care - on 3 floors.
Brookdale Lake Ridge
- Aarondale Retirement Community in Springfield, VA - Independent, assisted living and dementia care - 15 minutes to Washington, DC - includes the specialty dementia care if needed - Georgian estate home with gardens - allows lock in of 2010 rates to 2012.
- Arden Courts Fairoaks - by HR ManorCare - Independent, assisted, Alzheimer's care. Facility designed for Alzheimer's disease.
- Mayfair House Commonwealth Assisted Living at Kilmarnock - Assisted living and memory care by Commonwealth Assisted Living - private and semi-private rooms - home-cooked meals - memory care unit - a goal of keeping assisted living affordable - social, recreational activities - individual wellness programs - beauty salon - working with families to make the environment you wish.
Commonwealth Assisted Living has an in home personal care program - Home care is generally defined as non-medical support services delivered at the home of the senior.
- Churchland House by Commonwealth - Assisted living and memory care for Alzheimer's and dementia - private and semi-private rooms in home like atmosphere - activities and more.
Other communities by Commonwealth with memory care units:
• Churchland House - Portsmouth • Eden Court – Hampton • Georgian Manor – Chesapeake • Gloucester House • Commonwealth Assisted Living at Kilmarnock • Pinewood Inn – Norfolk • Wheatland Hills – Christiansburg • Wheatland Hills – Radford
- Georgian Manor by Commonwealth Assisted living and memory care unit. Near Chesapeake Regional Medical Center and shopping centers. Elegant, home-like surroundings and value living.
- Gloucester House by Commonwealth Premier assisted living in Gloucester. Spacious, homey community areas for assisted living - memory care unit.
- Wheatland Hills Christiansburg by Commonwealth - Assisted living and memory care in patio homes. Home-like feeling - Private or semi-private rooms.
- Wheatland Hills at Radford By Commonwealth - Assisted living and memory care unit - modern, spacious rooms - private or semi-private one and two bedroom patio homes - rental fees - Therapy programs and outside home care available.
- Bay Lake Retirement Community in Virginia Beach, VA - Independent, assisted living and dementia care - Live near the ocean in Virginia Beach - dementia care is a specialty if needed - lots of social and recreational activities.
- Atria Virginia Beach See our review of an Atria community - Independent, assisted living and memory care in an elegant atmosphere. Enjoy great dining and amenities in a resort town. Accepts pets. Activities that aid body, mind and spirit. Also retreats, temporary stays.
- Brookdale Virginia Beach - Virginia Beach by Brookdale Senior Living - this facility is for Alzheimer's and dementia care. Familiar daily routines, physical and behavioral needs are necessary roles. Individual service plan. Mental workouts, physical programs, life skills and enrichment. Home-like setting. Menus for dementia. Private or companion suites.
- Leigh Hall by Commonwealth - Private and semi- private rooms with their own bathrooms - home-cooked meals. Assisted living and memory care. 890 Poplar Hall Dr., Norfolk
- Eden Court Hampton by Commonwealth Assisted Living - for seniors who need Alzheimer's and memory care.
Richmond (also see separate page for Richmond):
- The Towers Retirement Community in Richmond, VA Independent, assisted living and dementia care available plus plenty of social and recreational activities.
- Chestnut Grove By Spring House Mgmt - Philosophy encompasses creating small to moderate sized communities for a home-like feeling. Several levels of care in personalized assisted living - Alzheimer's and dementia Care - medical assessment is conducted upon admission to ensure resident's needs.
There is a base service plan plus 3 additional levels of care. Activities are often inspired by resident's suggestions. Family members can volunteer and participate in activities. Some of the largest studio, one or two bedroom assisted living apartments in Richmond area. Chestnut Grove
- Chippendale Retirement Center 4931 Ridgedale Parkway Richmond, VA
- Brighter Living Assisted Living Hopewell - Offering lots of flexibility in their month-to-month rental fee with no entrance fee and several levels of care in addition to meals and housekeeping. Also rehab and respite. The dining service sounds great with health conscious meals of low sodium and sugar. Memory impairment wing for additional services. Also a styling salon on premises. Monthly fee is determined by the individualized service plan. Only assisted living in Hopewell.
Brighter Living in Hopewell
- Brightview at Baldwin Park offers Independent living, assisted living and award-winning Alzheimer's care in their Wellspring Village. Studio, one bedroom or companion apartment homes - lots of activities and fitness programs. All-inclusive pricing - variations in price depends on selected apartment type.
Brightview at Baldwin Park
- Amerisist of Culpeper Assisted living in a comfortable home setting - nice variety of activities and recreational activities such as gardening, outings - personal mailbox - beauty/barber shops.
- Fox Trail Senior Living Front Royal - (Formerly Amerisist) Monthly fee provides array of activities and recreational programs in addition to assisted living services. Memory care available.
- Amerisist of Louisa Assisted living in Louisa with monthly fee and family plans. Also memory care available.
- Fox Trail Senior Living - (Formerly Amerisist) Assisted living in Manassas with one monthly fee and family plans. Also memory care available.
- Fox Trail of Stephens City - Assisted living - one monthly fee covers all assisted services (verify) - Alzheimer's and memory care also available. Private and companion suites. 39 beds.
- Amerisist of Warrenton Assisted living encouraging independence - family plans available - also Alzheimer's and memory care. One monthly fee for basic assisted living. Private and companion suites.
- Arden Courts of Annandale By HCR ManorCare - Independent, assisted living and early to mid-Alzheimer's Care; also Alzheimer's care in assisted living. Design has special visual cues to help residents stay independent as possible.
Arden Courts of Annandale
Arden Courts has wonderful caregiver support programs and offers educational tips on their website. Arden Courts Feature - 7 stages of Alzheimer's
- Augusta Alzheimer's and Dementia Center Inc. 224 Fishersville Road Fishersville, VA
- Carriage Hill Assisted living, alz, short stay care, companion living (makes assisted living more affordable when you share) - views of Blue Ridge Mountains - Azheimer's care is in a specially designed community within the community.
Stanardsville (near Charlottesville)
- Renaissance Assisted Living - Greene County - Assisted living and Alzheimer's care. Social and recreational programs - personal services, housekeeping, garden plots, courtyards, dining room, and more.
422 William Mills Drive, Stanardsville - 434-985-4481
- Blue Ridge Manor 400 Blue Ridge Street Martinsville, VA
Combination of Services
Richmond (also see separate Richmond page)
- Beth Sholom Campus Since 1945 - first Jewish sponsored assisted living home in Virginia. The facility has expanded over the years. Lifecare community for all faiths. Apartments - Kosher meals (please verify what meals are Kosher). Activities, front desk services, amenities. Also, Adult Day Center and outpatient rehab.
Beth Sholom Campus
- Brandermill Woods Midlothian in the Richmond area. Everything you could need for continuing care with no large deposit (verify info). Community with independent, assisted living, nursing and more - also dementia care unit - Healthcare Center for nursing, therapies and The Holly Inn for 24-hour nursing and cognitive disorders - "state of the art" programs.
Brandermill Woods Community
- Patriot's Colony Williamsburg - For military officers and retired and Federal Civil Government retirees. CCRC for lifetime care - Independent, assisted living, nursing and rehab care and special apartments for Alzheimer's care. Villas, apartments and single homes.
- Greenfield Senior Living - Assisted living, memory care, rehab, hospice and short-term stays. 251 Patriot Lane, Williamsburg - 757-209-2428
- Brandon Oaks Lifecare community for everyone operated by Virginia Lutheran Homes in midst of Blue Ridge Mountains and a lower cost of living area - Independent, assisted living, nursing - service program included in monthly fee - entrance fee - outstanding amenities.
- Bridgewater Retirement Community Fee for services - CCRC in Shenandoah Valley area - age from 55 - apartments and cottages--some styles have garages. Affiliated with the Church of Brethren (but open to all religions.) Amenities include Wellness Center and spa.
Nearby Bridgewater College has swim pool and continuing education at reduced rates for residents. Most CCRC's have wait lists as does Bridgewater - best to get on list early.
- The Fairfax - Belvoir Woods Health Care Center For retired military officers and spouses, retired federal employees, and various government agencies (see website.) Also qualifying are parents of retired or active duty uniformed service officers. Offers independent living and healthcare.
Community center provides assisted living, memory care and skilled nursing. 60-acre campus near Old Town Alexandria VA and DC. Three entrance fee options.
- Lucy Corr Village Independent, assisted living and memory care. The newest community expansion is Springdale - non-profit lifecare community with cottages and apartments. Clover Hill Memory Center - The Greater Richmond Alzheimer's Association provides monthly support group meetings. More than 35 years.
Lucy Corr Village
- Warwick Forest Newport News - Gated Continuing care community with great amenities including indoor salt water pool, clubhouse, apartments with storage, home theater and walk trails on 40 acres. Wellness programs. Independent, assisted, memory care and long term care.
- Bethel Ridge Fincastle - offers a variety of services from independent, assisted living, intensive assisted living to hospice. Several types of rooms. Weekly chapel service. Home cooked meals. Activities. Respite care.
- Westminster Canterbury on Chesapeake Bay - Lifecare community requiring deposit (deposits start at $132,700 - verify as these rates can change) and monthly fee (lower $2,000's). Make appointment to discuss. Their services are extensive including independent living, assisted living, memory care, nursing, home health care, rehab and hospice. High-rise building on Chesapeake Bay.
Their WC At Home program is a unique service for those who want care in their home.
3100 Shore Drive, Virginia Beach - 757-496-1785 -
At Home Services
There is a unique program offered at Westminster Canterbury for those who want health care in their homes. This option is becoming increasingly popular but is not offered at very many facilities as of yet. Their extensive discussion of this subject and the information of their website will help those looking for this type of service. Read about home health care here.
Also see: Facilities in Richmond